Follow Me on Pinterest!

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pumpkin Bread... and the betrayal of a family secret





I'm letting you in on a family secret.  One passed down to me by my mother.  She probably heard it from her mother.  It involves butter.  'Cause that's how I roll.

Drum roll please...




Whenever I make quick bread (banana, pumpkin, whatever) I top it with melted butter, cinnamon and sugar.  The secret is you actually pull your bread out of the oven 5 minutes before it's done.  Baste the top with melted butter and sprinkle LIBERALLY (go nuts, we're building a crust here, people!) with cinnamon and sugar.  Put it back in the oven to finish.  When you pull it back out, the top of your bread will have the most delicious, decadent, yummy, wonderful, sugary crust on the top.  I have yet to meet anyone that isn't a fan.  Try it - even skinny people can't help but love it.


Today I made pumpkin bread... in January.  I know that's weird.  But its tasty, so who cares?

Apparently, I bought a can of pumpkin each time I went to the store in November and December.  I'm trying to work through the backlog in my pantry.  The extra large cans will make two loaves, which works great for me.  I love to make double recipes - I'm a big fan of the freezer!  And what the heck... if you are going to get busy, why not get a lot of bang for the buck, right???  I used the recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  Did you get this as a wedding gift?  I did.  I think its mandatory.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment